You and your loved one need time for some rest and relaxation.
Regency Park of Jefferson provides caregiver relief with our Restore and Rejuvenate program for your loved one, so you can take care of yourself.
Respite Benefits for Caregivers:
- A chance to spend time with other friends and family, or to just relax
- Time to take care of errands such as shopping, exercising, getting a haircut or going to the doctor
- Comfort and peace of mind knowing that your loved one is spending time with another caring individual
Respite Benefits for the Resident:
Your loved one will:
- Receive quality care when the primary caregiver is away.
- Interact with others having similar experiences.
- Spend time in a safe, supportive environment.
- Participate in activities designed to match personal abilities and needs.
Tips for planning Respite Care
- Involve your loved one. When planning for time off from your caregiving duties, make sure to keep your loved one is in the loop. Get their input on deciding how much time you will be away and who will fill in for you when you’re gone. Make sure to tell them that they will benefit from you being more relaxed and refreshed. Assure them that they will also reap rewards from socializing with other people.
- Assess your needs. Make a list of what care will be needed in your absence. Also decide if the respite care provider will need any special skills or training to be able to stay with your parent. If so, understand that your options for respite caregivers may be more limited.
- Stay organized. Use a calendar to assist you with helpers to keep track of appointments and send requests to friends and family. Don’t forget to include time for yourself and note it on the calendar.
You may believe that you should be able to “do it all.” Seeking help does not make you a failure. It’s important to remember that respite services benefit your loved one as well as yourself as the caregiver.